The first quarter of the Patriots-Falcons game has just gotten under way, but I've already seen something I can respect. On a 2nd and 10 inside the Patriots' red zone, Michael Turner ran the ball off the right tackle and was tackled by Adalius Thomas for a gain of about three yards. After the tackle, Turner popped up and was about to head back to the huddle when Thomas frantically tackled him again. Was there a penalty flag? Nope. The refs (who acknowledged it wasn't intentional) had not blown the whistle. Turner appeared to be slightly irked, but couldn't blame Thomas for doing what coaches try to instill in their players starting in Pop Warner: play to the whistle.
I wanted to add some video of this, but as it just happened and was an otherwise mundane play, I do not have high hopes. Instead, I'll give you another clip of a Delaware-James Madison game from two years ago that is another respectable example of playing to the whistle.
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh Falcons... One of the reasons Atlanta's not a big football town.
Post a Comment