At this time of year, everyone is scrambling to find that edge in their fantasy baseball draft, the rookie or breakout candidate that will take them to a title. In a year where Matt Wieters was expected to turn water to not just wine but eighteen-year-aged single malt scotch, it was rookies Andrew McCutchen and Tommy Hanson and sudden stars Kendry Morales and Ben Zobrist that were the deciders in many a fantasy title.
However, just parroting what everyone else says would be too easy. Below, you will see what other websites are pushing as their sleepers and then I'll throw in my two cents as someone else I see coming out of the blue that not as many people are pushing.
Catcher
Yahoo: Miguel Montero - Diamondbacks
ESPN: Also likes Montero, also likes Buster Posey - Giants
CBS Sports: Chris Iannetta - Rockies
I'd be wary of everyone heading out west. Montero looks like the guy that will go two rounds too early in every draft, even if he has a decent season, it's not worth paying a high price for any catcher after the top four. Posey probably won't be the full-time starter right away, and his success at the dish will most likely be Wieters-like from last season to start, so don't expect a huge impact this season. Iannetta, though an intriguing power candidate, will probably never hit for a high enough average and now has to compete with the similarly minded Miguel Olivo.
I think there is no need to get flashy at catcher this year. If you're going to reach for a player with a higher ceiling, I'd go with Geovany Soto over the already-injured Russell Martin. Better than that, you can wait til just about everyone else has drafted and take Kurt Suzuki from the A's. He's durable, consistent, hits for a good average, and will give you good run production for the position. The A's won't have the most ferocious lineup, but they should be slightly improved from last year with the addition of Jake Fox and the upcoming arrival of hitting prospects Michael Taylor and Chris Carter.
Don't draft, but keep on eye on: Kelly Shoppach - getting a second chance in a good Rays lineup.
First Base
Yahoo: Brandon Funston likes Aubrey Huff - Giants
ESPN: Chris Davis - Rangers
CBS Sports: Derrek Lee - Cubs
There aren't really a lot of "breakout" candidates for first base because so many of them were solid last year. Even in twelve-team leagues, everyone's 1B slot should be filled by someone with 30 HR/90 RBI potential. To dig deeper for injury replacements or to fill your utility spot, I like Conor Jackson to come back from Valley Fever to hit 15-20 HR while batting around .290. I also like Gaby Sanchez of the Marlins to finally reach his notable power potential and win the starting job for the fish, possibly to the tune of 25 HR.
Don't draft, but keep an eye on: Jeff Clement - Pirates
Second Base
Yahoo: Placido Polanco - Philadelphia
ESPN: Martin Prado - Braves
CBS Sports: Rickie Weeks - Brewers
It should be noted that everyone and their gerbil is touting Tigers rookie Scott Sizemore to potentially hit 15 HR and steal 15 bags, but I think you can expect the same from Kelly Johnson (with a brand new gig in Arizona) for cheaper. If you want a real deep sleeper, check out Sean Rodriguez, the former stud farmhand of Anaheim now getting a shot in Tampa. If injuries force the Rays to move the versatile Zobrist to help cover up, or gets hurt himself, Rodriguez has the ability to hit an Aaron Hill-like 25 HR at around a .280 clip. By the way, if you want to take another trip on the Rickie Weeks train, feel free, but you'll be doing it without me. Eventually, you've just gotta say "no."
Don't draft, but keep an eye on: Blake DeWitt - Dodgers
Third Base
Yahoo: Brad Evans likes Adrian Beltre - Red Sox
ESPN: Jake Fox - Athletics
CBS Sports: Brandon Wood - Angels
I could potentially be down with all three listed above, but for a deeper pick, I like David Freese of the Cardinals. Injuries stopped him from taking over for Troy Glaus last season, but he still hit 10 HR in 52 AAA games after hitting 26 HR/91 RBI in 2008 at Memphis. Now, with fellow prospect Brett Wallace lying in wait for the Toronto job instead of competing with Freese, the job in a potent St. Louis lineup is his to lose. He's also entering his age 27 season (read: first year of his physical prime.)
Don't draft, but keep an eye on: Bobby Crosby/Andy LaRoche/Pedro Alvarez, aka whoever is playing third in Pittsburgh.
Shortstop
Yahoo: JJ Hardy - Twins
ESPN: Marco Scutaro - Red Sox
CBS Sports: Alcides Escobar - Brewers, and Elvis Andrus - Rangers
I love Hardy as a sleeper as I think he'll return to 20 HR/80 RBI potential in Minny, but I have another guy who's probably even less on the radar. Ian Desmond hit four HR in a 21-game debut last fall, and has very little competition for the starting job in Washington. Not many shortstops could potentially deliver 20 HR/20 SB steals, especially not in the last round when Desmond should be available. He may get off to a slow start batting near the bottom of the Nats lineup, but if he moves up to the #2 hole (where I think he'll eventually end up,) he could be one of the biggest steals of the year.
Don't draft, but keep an eye on: Brendan Ryan - Cardinals
Outfield
Yahoo: Drew Stubbs - Reds
ESPN: Nolan Reimold - Orioles
CBS Sports: Julio Borbon - Rangers
I like Stubbs and Reimold especially, although I'm not a big fan of Borbon, as I see him as merely a runs/steals guy who won't give you enough in the BA/HR/RBI department to start him regularly. Who I do like is Kyle Blanks, who has sufficient power to overcome playing his home games in Petco and looked decent in a late season call-up last year. He has a higher ceiling than teammate Will Venable, will get playing time now that Chase Headley has moved to third, and will come at a cheaper price as similarly talented and more hyped fellow prospects Austin Jackson and Cameron Maybin.
Don't draft, but keep an eye on: Matt Diaz - Braves, especially if Jason Heyward isn't ready immediately, but I think he'll eventually supplant Melky Cabrera, and when he does, 15-20 HR and a .300 average sounds about right.
Starting Pitchers
Yahoo: Tim Hudson - Braves
ESPN: Wade Davis - Rays
CBS Sports: Brett Anderson - A's
Most of the sites haven't really released their starting pitcher primers yet, but above are guys who they potentially liked more than most. Since the starting pitcher position is so deep, I'll give you a trio of guys who fit my bill of being solid across the board (meaning they won't kill you in W, ERA, WHIP, or K. Sorry Chien-Ming Wang.) Chris Tillman (Orioles), Jeff Niemann (Rays), and Chris Volstad (Marlins) are all young pitchers that you don't want to lose out on this season. Between the under-hyped Brad Bergesen coming back from injury and the hype for AL Rookie of the Year candidate Brian Matusz, Tillman is being overlooked. Going into even last year, Tillman was one of the top three or four ranked pitching prospects in the country and got valuable experience last year in a handful of second-half starts for the O's when he suffered from poor run support. Niemann is being overlooked due to the other young starters in Tampa's rotation (David Price and Wade Davis), but may be potentially the most reliable after going 13-6 with a 3.94 ERA in his rookie season last year. Chris Volstad has shown flashes of potential, but should break through this year entering the all-important third full season as a starter. He has big strikeout potential and tends to get overlooked playing in a small market like Florida.
Don't draft, but keep an eye on: Bud Norris - Astros, and Ross Detwiler - Nationals
Relief Pitchers
I was surprised to see Huston Street ranked as high as sixth overall by a CBS Sports expert. One half-decent season in Colorado does not a track record make. ESPN likes Luke Gregerson (Padres) and Matt Capps (Nats) as sleepers, although I would argue that Capps is a pretty well-known fantasy entity at this point. Closer is a funny position because there are only 30 guys worth rostering at any point in the season, and yet even a crappy closer, as long as he has a job, retains some value. So the question is, what jobs are still up for grabs? I think Toronto has an opening -- as a former Scott Downs owner, I'm not convinced that the Jays are convinced as to his long-term potential. Detroit appears to be ready for Joel Zumaya to take over, but they've been saying that for a couple years now, and if he's still not there, Ryan Perry could surprise. Houston will probably go with the winner of the Brandon Lyon/Matt Lindstrom duel this spring.
Keep an eye on, but don't draft: All the closers in waiting. There is always huge turnover during the season at the closer position. Guys who I think have the shortest leash (along with their handcuff): Bobby Jenks/Matt Thornton (White Sox), Brian Fuentes/Fernando Rodney (Angels), Leo Nunez/Mike MacDougal (Marlins), Brad Lidge/Ryan Madson (Phillies), and Matt Capps/Drew Storen (Nationals).
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment