Who is he? Jay Cutler is the starting quarterback for the Chicago Bears. This year is his fourth year in the NFL after playing at Vanderbilt. In the off-season, rookie head coach Josh McDaniels arrived in Denver and promptly shipped Cutler to the Bears for Kyle Orton, presumably because he saw what good coaches see: Cutler is a terrible quarterback!
Why don't we like him? In my book, Cutler was doomed before his career even started because he replaced Jake "The Snake" Plummer. I really liked Plummer; he was a winner in my book, and that's not just because he cultivated one of the best mustaches in history into one of the best beards. He's got a rocket arm and a quick release that makes him a scout's wet dream, but he makes such poor decisions that I've named a fake QB-disease after him: whenever a quarterback has a terrible game (think Mark Sanchez's five-interception game), I've started to say he has symptoms off Cutler-itis. (This is different from diabetes, which Cutler also has.) Cutler had his own five-pick game against the 49ers last night. Admittedly, the only part of the game I was able to see was the final drive. That didn't stop me from immediately saying, "he's going to throw a pick." After he led the Bears down the field despite a number of stupid penalties, I almost thought he might win the game, launching the broadcasters into tirades of "You brought Cutler to Chicago for game-winning drives like this!" Then he went back to being Jay Cutler and threw his fifth pick into a crowd of 49ers defenders. In Cutler's defense, he did throw it really hard.
*Photo courtesy of Jauerback via Creative Commons License
Friday, November 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Jay has not lived up to expectations, and in my estimation he doesnt seemt to coach the receivers on mistakes or make the players around him better. I think the elite qbs can work with marginal talent and still produce wins.
Actually, I would say Cutler has absolutely met my expectations. I don't know why anyone ever thought he would be any good. Despite his big arm, he's never shown anything to make me think he'd be even a decent quarterback.
Post a Comment