Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bruce Pearl Sheds Some Man Tears

We're a little late on this, but you didn't really think There's No "I" in Blog would let some man tears slide past us unnoticed, did you? We wouldn't let that happen. Last week, University of Tennessee men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl held a press conference, during which he apologized for providing the NCAA with incorrect and misleading information, and he let out a few tiny man tears while he was at it. He and the UT athletic program are being investigated for possible recruiting violations. Tennessee Athletic Director Mike Hamilton has already cut Pearl's salary by $1.5 million and prohibited him from attending any recruiting trips. Pearl was interviewed by NCAA officials and three weeks later informed them that he had provided the false information. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a good video of said man tears that I can post here, but since I like Pearl, here's a video of him cheering on the Tennessee Lady Vols (if you can't tell, he's the "V").

What sports fan wouldn't like a head coach willing to go out and support his university and interact with students like that (besides maybe a Kentucky fan)? I've also never heard of a coach turning himself in. (I've heard of universities doing it, but not coaches). Also, one of the biggest reasons I like Bruce Pearl is—even though sports and coaching remains an old boy's club—his unwavering stance that Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt is hands down the best basketball coach in the world.

Here's the video of Pearl's man tearful press conference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found it most ironic that years after Pearl blew the whistle on Illinois for recruiting violations and was ostracized in the coaching business for it, he admits to playing dirty as well. What goes around...

Patrick said...

I agree. I want to know more about what Pearl's specific violations were because of his history, and because, like I said in the post, I find it interesting that he personally called the NCAA officials to tell on himself.

Post a Comment

There's No "I" in Blog © 2009. Template by FiveGorillas

TOPO